Immediately before this passage, Luke references Isaiah 40, pointing to John the Baptist as the promised one to "prepare the way." The way John prepares for Jesus' coming is by calling people to personal repentance.
In thinking of the Christmas season, I am struck by John's teaching here. Three different groups of people ask him the same question; "what should we do?" All three of his responses are the same: be content with what you have.
I found myself at the mall this past weekend and was awestruck by the throngs of people, spending for the holidays, seemingly without a thought as to the status of their 401(k). I think we can all be challenged by John's teaching. Be content. Those who have much, share with those who have little. Those who lack should strive to get just enough.
Are we asking of God, "What should I do?" Are we willing to be content with his answer?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment